Potent Quotables (updated periodically)

  • "If you like sausages and laws, you should never watch either one of them being made." -- Otto von Bismarck
  • "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever." -- Thomas Jefferson
  • "The best way to prove a stick is crooked is to lay a straight one beside it" -- FW Boreham
  • "There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'There you are' and those who say, 'Here I am'" -- Abigail Van Buren
  • "It was not political rhetoric, mass rallies or poses of moral indignation that gave the people a better life. It was capitalism." -- Thomas Sowell

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Things I've learned from former Muslims

Lately, I've taken an interest in the conflict going on in the Middle East. As we all know, there is a spiritual battle going on between Muslims and Jews/Christians. After reading Son of Hamas (Yousef), and watching a couple of Joel Rosenberg videos (Inside the Revolution and Epicenter), I have learned so much from new Christians who come from an Islamic background. Living in the United States, we are naive and ignorant, and we all need to take an interest in what's actually going on over there. Perhaps even pitch in a little...

So what have I learned? Here are just a few things...

1. Growing up in a Christian home, we take our faith and knowledge of the Gospel for granted. I feel like many Christians (including myself) go to church and try to do good because that's what we are supposed to do. But what does that truly say about our faith in Jesus Christ? I find that when I question my faith, I learn the most. I think Mosab Yousef said it best when he said "how do we know that Jesus is God? Because He has the HIGHEST standards." If you think about it, there is no higher standard. Love your neighbors AND enemies, turn the other cheek, if someone asks you to go one mile with him - go with him 2 miles... These standards are ones we know and have learned many times over - but there is nothing more perfect! I just hope that as Christians, we remember WHY we believe what we do, and we don't take our faith for granted.

2. Muslims, including terrorists, are people too. They have families, friends, struggles, and hope, just like Christians. But they don't know Jesus. They grew up in Muslim homes, and basically, they have been manipulated by a god who instills fear in people. As Christians, it is our job to help. Pray for these people. Give monetarily. Reach out to a Muslim in your community or beyond. Remember, God loves them too. Jesus died for these people too. It's easy to hate Muslims, especially after seeing 9/11, and the numerous terrorist attacks all over the world. But remember Jesus's standards... love your enemy!

3. God performs miracles even today - like the kind in the Bible! In Joel Rosenberg's video called Inside the Revolution, there are Muslims who came to Christ through dreams and visions. AMAZING. I thought those days were over - but he is at work. Tass Saada is a good example. Research his story or even buy his book, Once an Arafat Man. Look for YouTube videos and search for "how muslim became Christian." In discussing this with a friend, she even mentioned to me how a friend of a friend, who was not a Christian at the time, prayed to God out of desperation, and he heard God's voice!

I realize at this point I'm rambling out of excitement, and maybe my presentation isn't doing these ideas justice... but I encourage you guys to pick up some of the books and/or videos mentioned in this post.

If you feel compelled, there are a few ways I've learned you can help:

and PRAYER!

If I find out other resources/ways to help, I will definitely add them to the post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here or write us at GrimpHQ@gmail.com