Potent Quotables (updated periodically)

  • "If you like sausages and laws, you should never watch either one of them being made." -- Otto von Bismarck
  • "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever." -- Thomas Jefferson
  • "The best way to prove a stick is crooked is to lay a straight one beside it" -- FW Boreham
  • "There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'There you are' and those who say, 'Here I am'" -- Abigail Van Buren
  • "It was not political rhetoric, mass rallies or poses of moral indignation that gave the people a better life. It was capitalism." -- Thomas Sowell

Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Happy Hypo

What was it that Doc Holiday says in "Tombstone"? "...my hypocrisy goes only so far." What's happening to people these days? You've got men like Danny Glover, an actor who I actually really like, at least when he's acting and not making a giant tool of himself by talking politics.

What I really love is how in this article Danny talks about the Freedom to Choose Act and how gay marriage is related to civil rights and then hides behind the line, "Because of my lack of familiarity with the bill itself and the detail of the bill, I can only comment on the basis of the bill...I’m not a lawmaker or an expert, but I certainly – on the basis of the bill, however it’s framed, in some sense, however it is, it should not restrict a women’s right to choose." Is that even a sentence? I thought you were an expert, Danny. You "act" like one. Reading Glover-speech (ie libspeech) is kind of like reading hieroglyphics on a dirty cave wall with a lantern that's dripping candle wax on your hands. It's hazy and painful.

It appears that actors have been on the political scene at least since the Judy Garland days...I guess since tv has been going. But what weight do they have? Do they sway popular opinion? Do they even believe what they say, or are they simply continuing to act? Now some actors are really smart and actually appear to know some history. They've got a head on their shoulders that isn't filled with pudding and marijuana. Take Gary Senise who selflessly outperforms popular culture any day of the week. And yet we've got these other doe-eyed beauties and anvil headed schmucks in Hollywood that spout stupidity out of their mouths like a rainbow of crap leading to a pot. Not a pot of gold...just a pot. You can read more about Senise here.

Let's talk for a second about civil rights. Last I checked, gays have the same rights that I do. Now before you think we're about to start gay-bashing, let me assure you that I find it uncharitable and unhealthy to engage in serious persecution against another human being. Pointing out how you disagree with certain ideas or choices is one thing. Projecting hatred on a person, even if they are wrong, is quite another. It's important to be careful when dealing with judgement because none of us are above it. That does not mean you cannot vehemently disagree with someone else's opinion. I know there will be some that disagree strongly with mine.

Now, back to our civil rights: gays as well as straights both have the right to stick our hoohas up another man's yoohoo, not that I'm gonna. Let's face it...gay men bring a kind of light and fun feeling into the picture. They're often very talented and enjoyable people. I still believe their gayness is ultimately a psychological/spiritual condition. Whether it's a gay person's "fault" for being gay, I could not say. But it's a good thing liberal men can't get pregnant, otherwise, there would be a lot of aborted would-be decorators. You'd have an episode of Will and Grace with a post-partum depressed Jack. Of course, in true Jack fashion, he'd be happy again just as soon as a male nurse bends over to pick up his kleenex. It would be one of those "serious" episodes where abortion is discussed like a dumbed down after school special for mentally retarded adults. It's fine to oversimplify things for those who are mentally challenged, but most people are not, at least not genetically. Some are by choice. Many of us have simply been swayed by small changes taking place over a long course of time causing us to become increasingly obtuse.

As for gay rights and straight rights...We both have the right to make choices which spread disease and live a lifestyle that probably originated from having a bad father. We both have the right to get married and have all the same tax benefits and whatnot with anyone we want, or do we? Is the question whether or not I have a right to be married to a anyone that makes me happy, whoever that person might be? Should I be able to marry my sister, my brother, my nephew? What if that's the companion I desire? Why can't I marry my horse? I know, I know...you will say those are not comparable arguments. Okay fine, let's keep it in human non-incestuous terms. Suppose I want to marry two women, or nine. Maybe I want to marry your wife or your life-partner. Does the fact that reproductive organs are specifically designed signal nothing?

I guess if you're a liberal, the logic is like this: I should be able to marry whoever I want because it makes me happy, and it's my civil right to be happy. Pursuit of happiness is one thing. Pursuit of changing natural law and asking the rest of free society to change its law to match your own is quite another. Anyone can come up with their own morality and harass society to match it by demonizing their supposed bigotry. It takes a man, whether gay or straight, to obey the natural law, to protect babies rather than slaughter them, to help old people rather than rely on their taxes to do it for them.

4 comments:

  1. Paragraph 4 is enough to get you in trouble with the PC police.

    Here's a question I hadn't though of until just now... supposedly American civil liberties extend to doing (most) anything you want to do so long as it doesn't hurt someone else, right? Knowingly spreading a disease to someone else ought then to be a civil offense, should it not? If not, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait, because the government should stay out of the bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. re: the article on Danny Glover

    What the hell is Black Studies? Why is it a whole department? And what do you do for a job if you graduate with a degree in Black Studies, besides teach in the Black Studies department?

    What would a Hispanic person with a degree in Black Studies do for a living?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's another way of prepping students to say, "You want fries with that?" and then wondering why they're being "kept down" and can't read or do math. Here's an idea...let's study things like black studies but broaden the topic into something useful that studies several cultures and events that have shaped the present we now live in. We'll even give it a really hip and progressive name like "History" or "Sociology".

    ReplyDelete

Comment here or write us at GrimpHQ@gmail.com