Potent Quotables (updated periodically)

  • "If you like sausages and laws, you should never watch either one of them being made." -- Otto von Bismarck
  • "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever." -- Thomas Jefferson
  • "The best way to prove a stick is crooked is to lay a straight one beside it" -- FW Boreham
  • "There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'There you are' and those who say, 'Here I am'" -- Abigail Van Buren
  • "It was not political rhetoric, mass rallies or poses of moral indignation that gave the people a better life. It was capitalism." -- Thomas Sowell

Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas

Here's some good stuff related to Christmas, Christian history, and Christianity's origins if you're interested:

Rumor mill - I've heard that this is the first time on history that Christians have been able to publicly celebrate Christmas in the city of Baghdad, Iraq. That's an interesting tidbit considering this was in the vicinity of the birthplace of the first known human civilizations.

Article - "Be Not Afraid", by Joseph Morrison Skelly

Also of particular note if you are not a Christian and/or are seeking to find out more about what Christianity is, there is an excellent book called Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. I wasn't interested in Lewis' writing at first because all I knew about him was that he wrote the Narnia books. The more I learned about him and his faith, the more intrigued I became. I learned he was at one time an atheist which I think gives credibility to his faith and ideas because he struggled with them and worked them out logically. I prefer the audio version of this book because reading it would probably be too time consuming because it's very deep in thought. Plus, I think it was originally aired as a radio program which makes the audio make more sense than the written version. But it is available through just about any bookstore or online at Amazon.com. The audio version is also available online by going here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here or write us at GrimpHQ@gmail.com