Potent Quotables (updated periodically)

  • "If you like sausages and laws, you should never watch either one of them being made." -- Otto von Bismarck
  • "God who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that his justice cannot sleep forever." -- Thomas Jefferson
  • "The best way to prove a stick is crooked is to lay a straight one beside it" -- FW Boreham
  • "There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who walk into a room and say, 'There you are' and those who say, 'Here I am'" -- Abigail Van Buren
  • "It was not political rhetoric, mass rallies or poses of moral indignation that gave the people a better life. It was capitalism." -- Thomas Sowell

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Bigger They Are

Big companies are a lot like big government.  They're both functionally incompetent.  No, I'm not saying the people that work for them are incompetent.  Many of them are geniuses.  What I'm saying is that large organizations sometimes get so big that they can't function worth a tinker's dam. 

Case in point: I was just dealing with someone this morning from a large corporation.  I dialed the phone number on this person's email signature and entered her extension...then I listened to some automation...then I entered her extension again...then I finally got a prompt to enter an extension...then I entered her extension once again...then I got someone else on the phone...not the person I was calling...this person didn't know the person I was calling...so I gave her the extension...the person was unavailable...the same person that told me she would be handling something first thing this morning...that thing hasn't happened yet...so I'll send an email and cross my fingers.

For those who want government to get bigger and bigger and have more and more control over the daily lives of Americans...try calling a big bank...or a credit card company...or your phone company...remember that feeling of powerlessness...and then quadruple it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here or write us at GrimpHQ@gmail.com